Monday, January 13, 2014

Letter 16: Hopeful investigators

Dearest mother and family,
My tooth feels much better! However..the dentists work a little differently here, originally I was supposed to go in for 3 visits with JUST the root canal, and then later the crown. But the dentist was awesome and spoke some English. He got most of it done and my next visit will finish the root canal. I don't go in until the 23rd because he went on vacation (of course) but there is a temporary filling on it right now and it doesn't hurt. So all is well. I paid the first like 300 dollars or so, the rest will be next time. But yeah, all is well on the dental front! We have to travel to La Serena Integra Medica each time. Its about a 30 minute drive. 
Yes I finally got the package! And let me just say thank you so much! Those sweaters will be great for when it starts to cool down and the shirts/sweats are awesome! I think what I liked the best though was the letters from everyone. It was so good to read them all and just feel so loved. Oh and side note, what the heck?? When did Brock get such good handwriting?? haha. Also the treats were delicious, and yes...they're already gone. I couldn't help it. 
This year our mission reached 931 baptisms! A little short of our goal, so no, I don't think we will be going to the temple. Our new goal this year is 1200 baptisms as a mission. That's a lot, but I'm sure its reachable as well. Things are going well with my companion as well. Just have to adapt some and learn to deal with some things. But overall he's good and we get along. I now just wear my earplugs in the morning while I study too. Not only because of that but we live right by a construction zone and its really loud. So I just put them in and study. 
Yes we actually found 10 new investigators this week! The statistic is for about every 18 investigators we get a baptism. But we found 2 families and we're excited to be working with them. Last night we had once (mini dinner) with our investigator Ernesto and his girlfriend Victoria and their son Benjamin. Benjamin in 3 years old and Ernesto is 32, not sure about her. But they're so great! Ernesto makes me laugh, hes just a funny guy. They're both really interested and Ernesto said he wants to be baptized. The obstacle will be to get him to stop smoking and to come to church..haha. It was funny because a week ago we taught him for the first time and he leans back in his chair, thinks, and then says yeah...I think Ill be ready to be baptized next week. Hahaha it was great but there are some things he needs to stop doing first and again, he needs to attend church at least 3 times. So our goal is for the 2nd of February and we are hoping his girlfriend will as well! The area we are in is a good one, the people are friendly and we find new people without too much difficulty! 
Juan is good! He didn't come to church though and he hasn't been reading, so we are working with him to get him excited and animated. No he hasn't rapped for us yet, but soon! He has a great heart, its just hard for him to read and hes a little lazy haha. Nothing he cant overcome!
Hahah no worries mom, ill be sure to tell him. Yeah we go a buy little things for home, but we are hardly ever home so we don't buy a ton. I usually buy cereal and stuff for quesadillas..stuff like that (: We live right by a store called Santa Isabel, and its like a Walmart more or less. Or sometimes if im hungry at night ill buy an empanada or something like that. So all is well in the food area. That pasta you made sounds HEAVENLY, I cant wait to have your cooking again! Seriously, we ate subway today because we had to go to La Serana so Elder Holmes could change his address in his passport/carnet and we ate their. Oh my gosh, I got the meatball marinara and it just tasted like America. It was such a blissful experience, you don't even know! Haha every day we eat pasta, or chicken. The majority of the time its food like that. And so simple things like Subway are just fantastic. 
Yeah send them as soon as possible! If you want to send treats go for it! (I'm never opposed to that) haha, but if its too expensive the letters are just fine!

Well I'm super glad to hear you're all doing well and happy! That's exciting about your trip this week! Take lots of pictures! Ill send some right now as well. I love you so much!! Thank you for your prayers and thoughts, I feel the strength from them. I have the best family in the world!
Have a great week! Be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment